After rising to fame from her debut on Laguna Beach, Kristin Cavallari has been asked one question over and over again: What’s your skincare routine? Since she was asked this question so often, Kristin decided to take a closer look at the ingredients in the products she was using to see if they were truly effective. To her surprise, Kristin found out that the products she thought were clean and effective were actually not good for her skin at all. And that’s where the idea for Uncommon Beauty was born.
Kristin was inspired to create Uncommon Beauty in order to address the demand for clean, minimalistic skincare. She told Harper’s Bazaar, “The whole idea of Uncommon Beauty was to create really clean, effective products. But we also don’t want you to have 20 steps, so we’re stripping your routine down to a handful of products that will get the job done.” And that’s why the Uncommon Beauty collection consists of just 5 products.
Since Uncommon Beauty is brand new, you may be wondering: are the Uncommon Beauty products any good? Can just a few simple products really provide results? In order to answer these questions for you, we have evaluated the Uncommon Beauty product formulations, including the key ingredients and the research that supports (or doesn’t support) their use in skincare. By learning about the ingredients in these products and how they work, you’ll be able to make an informed decision before trying out this new brand.
What Are The Best Uncommon Beauty Skincare Products?
At the time of writing this review, the Uncommon Beauty collection consists of just five products: a cleanser, serum, moisturizer, eye cream, and lip balm. Here’s a breakdown of the Uncommon Beauty products:
Uncommon Beauty Daily Foaming Powder Cleanser
- The Uncommon Beauty cleanser is a powder that turns into a paste once mixed with water
- It is said to help unclog pores to purify and gently cleanse your skin while replenishing moisture
- Key ingredients include rice powder, surfactants, goat milk powder, and papain (an enzyme derived from papaya)
- Fragrance free
Uncommon Beauty Pineapple Peptide Nectar
- This Uncommon Beauty serum is said to help brighten your skin while actively combatting the signs of aging (such as fine lines and wrinkles)
- Key ingredients include glycerin, coconut-derived emollients, bromelain (enzyme from pineapple), ferulic acid, pineapple extract, kakadu plum extract, coconut water, and acetyl hexapeptide-8
- Contains fragrance
Uncommon Beauty Daily Water Cream
- This Uncommon Beauty moisturizer is said to help soothe skin, even out skin tone, moisturize without clogging pores, prevent the appearance of fine lines, and reduce dullness
- Key ingredients include glycerin, silicones, pineapple extract, kakadu plum extract, bromelain, and coconut water
- Formula also includes mica and titanium dioxide to add a shimmering effect and reflect light from the face, creating the illusion of a smoother, softer, and more radiant skin tone
- Fragrance free
Uncommon Beauty Triple Effect Eye Cream
- The Uncommon Beauty Eye Cream is said to provide 3 effects: increase hydration, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and reduce the appearance of dark circles and puffiness
- Key ingredients include glycerin, squalane, emollients, acetyl hexapeptide-8, kakadu plum extract, pineapple fruit extract, and bromelain
- Fragrance free
Uncommon Beauty Mango Lip Balm
- The Uncommon Beauty Lip Balm is a hydrating, lightweight balm that is said to keep your lips hydrated, nourished, and protected from environmental factors
- Key ingredients include sunflower seed oil, beeswax, coconut oil, mango seed butter, and vitamin E
What Are The Key Ingredients in Uncommon Beauty Skincare Products?
After evaluating the Uncommon Beauty product formulations, we noticed that this brand uses a few of the same key ingredients throughout their collection. The key ingredients include the following:
- Pineapple fruit extract and bromelain
- Kakadu plum extract
- Acetyl hexapeptide-8 (Argireline)
You’ll find pineapple fruit extract in the Uncommon Beauty Pineapple Peptide Nectar serum, as well as the Uncommon Beauty moisturizer and eye cream. Pineapple is rich in antioxidant vitamins, but the main component in pineapple is the enzyme bromelain. Bromelain is a protein-digesting enzyme that softens the skin by breaking up keratin and exfoliating dead skin cells. Bromelain will unclog the pores and can help reduce irritation caused by the accumulation of surface skin cells. Bromelain also has anti-inflammatory properties.
Several Uncommon Beauty skincare products — such as the serum, moisturizer, and eye cream — contain Terminalia Ferdinandiana fruit extract, also known as Kakadu plum extract. Did you know the Kakadu plum is the richest vitamin C source of any fruit? In fact, this superfruit contains up to 100 times the pure vitamin C content of an orange. Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that can protect the skin from free radicals, stimulate collagen production, and decrease the appearance of dark spots through inhibition of the enzyme tyrosinase. Ultimately, the vitamin C in Terminalia Ferdinandiana fruit extract helps to reveal a brighter, smoother, and clearer complexion.
One of the key anti-aging ingredients used in the Uncommon Beauty skincare products is Argireline, also known as acetyl hexapeptide-8. Argireline is a six amino acid peptide that is a fragment of SNAP-25 (a substrate of botulinum toxin). It works by limiting the ability of neurotransmitters to activate movement in your facial muscles, for example, when forming facial expressions such as smiling or frowning.By inhibiting the nerves that cause facial muscles to contract, subtle facial expressions are limited and wrinkles are subsequently reduced.
However, according to a publication in the journal Scientific Reports, the permeation of Argireline through skin is poor due to its high molecular weight. Ultimately, this means that Argireline may just sit on top of your skin instead of being absorbed deep into the skin.
Where to Buy Uncommon Beauty Skincare Products?
Uncommon Beauty skincare products are sold on the brand’s website, as well as in the brand’s brick-and-mortar locations in Nashville, Chicago, and Dallas.
What is The Uncommon Beauty Return Policy?
The Uncommon James return policy states, “Uncommon James provides free return shipping with qualifying orders.” It is unclear if the same return policy applies to the Uncommon Beauty products.
Is Uncommon Beauty Cruelty Free?
Uncommon Beauty is cruelty free.
Uncommon Beauty Reviews
There are not many Uncommon Beauty reviews on the brand’s website at the time of writing this review. Some products don’t have any reviews yet, and others only have a handful of reviews.
The Uncommon Beauty Pineapple Peptide Nectar serum currently has earned all 5-star reviews. One Uncommon Beauty review for this serum says, “I just started using this and my skin absorbs it so nicely! It doesn’t sit on the skin like a lot of products I’ve tried but seeps right in! The smell of pineapple is even better knowing that it’s not just added fragrance! So far I’m in love with this serum!!”
The rest of the Uncommon Beauty reviews on the brand’s website are from customers who ordered the products but haven’t tried them yet. They rated the product with 5 stars just because they were excited to try the product.
Overall, we think that Uncommon Beauty skincare products are formulated well with evidence-based ingredients.
- Products contain evidence-based ingredients
- Most products are fragrance-free
- Uncommon Beauty is cruelty free
- Not many Uncommon Beauty reviews at the time of writing this article
What Are Some Alternatives to Uncommon Beauty Skincare Products?
While we do think the Uncommon Beauty products are formulated well, this brand is so new it’s hard to tell how customers react to these products. If you’re looking for skincare products to address the signs of aging, one brand we recommend is Formulyst. Formulyst maximizes the use of powerful ingredients and minimizes the use of superficial ones, resulting in clinically advanced skin care solutions that help promote healthy, more youthful-looking skin.
For hydrated and dewy looking skin, try Formulyst Super Hyaluronic Water Moisturizer. Hyaluronic acid helps keep skin plumped, hydrated, and dewy looking. This oil free formula is packed with multiple types of hyaluronic acid and it works as a moisture magnet by drawing water to the skin.
Another brand that balances the power of plants with cutting edge science is Carrot & Stick. Not only is Carrot & Stick good for your skin, it is also good for the environment as the formulas skip harmful chemicals as well as the preservatives, emulsifiers, and thickeners commonly found in skin care products.
Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 1596.