Just one week after Hailey Bieber launched her highly anticipated Rhode skincare line on June 15, 2022, Kim Kardashian dropped her rebranded collection, SKKN BY KIM. Previously known as KKW Beauty, the revamp was due to her split from her ex-husband, Kanye West. As the name suggests, SKKN BY KIM is a collection of skincare products, unlike her previous brand, which focused on makeup and fragrance.
Kim’s uncomfortable and painful journey with psoriasis inspired the reality TV star to learn more about skincare on a deeper level. According to the brand, the products are “fueled by years of gathered insights from global skincare specialists” and includes “science-backed formulas that work together to reactivate skin’s inner potential.”
Does the high price point for this “prestige” collection justify the formulations, or are consumers buying into the sleek, streamlined packaging and the face behind the brand? Let’s take a closer look.
SKKN BY KIM is following in the footsteps of other consciously clean skincare brands on the market by creating products that are:
- Void of sulfates, BHT, and PEGs
- Void of synthetic fragrance (except for the Exfoliator, which contains below 1% for a better experience during application. This product has been tested and approved for all skin types under the supervision of a dermatologist.
Even though the chunky yet sleek monochromatic packaging is not recyclable, it still serves a purpose.
- All products are packed in refillable bottles and jars.
- Refills are packaged inside recycled materials and delivered to consumers inside compostable kraft bags.
- Refills are made of 50% post-consumer recycled (PCR) materials and are 100% recyclable, except for the pump.
- The kraft bags that the refills arrive in are 100% compostable.
- The eggshell pulp that single products arrive in is recyclable once the metal plate, clamps, and base are removed.
SKKYN BY KIM Product Overview: The First 9 Targeted Launch Products
This hydrating cleanser doubles as a makeup remover, so it’s a time-saver on those nights when you’re tired. It even dissolves waterproof formulas, along with dirt, unwanted oils, and other impurities, without stripping the skin of its natural moisture.
- The Cleanser has been clinically proven to remove 84% of pollutants. The skin remains hydrated for two hours after rinsing.
- Aloe vera helps soothe and hydrate the skin. Glycerin (17% ) improves the skin’s moisture content, supports wound healing, and protects the skin from moisture loss and damage.
Powered by alpha hydroxy acids and enzymes, this toner also doubles as a gentle exfoliator to help prepare the skin for the remaining products in the routine. It promotes a more radiant-looking complexion and reduces the appearance of pores while keeping the skin soft, toned, and hydrated.
- Fruit enzymes and alpha hydroxy acids provide a double exfoliation. AHAs brighten and even out the skin tone, unclog pores, provide hydration, smooth and soften rough textured skin, and can soften the appearance of fine lines.
- Witch hazel (6%) contains salicylic acid, which helps to exfoliate the skin, which helps improve the appearance of blemishes and fine lines. It’s also high in tannins, a polyphenol that may reduce inflammation in the skin and works to combat free radicals with its antioxidant properties.
The brand’s Exfoliator works as an enzymatic and mechanical face scrub to remove dead surface cells, resulting in a smooth, soft, glowing complexion.
- Extra-fine, spherical grains prevent microtears in the skin — these tears temporarily damage the moisture barrier, which can lead to dryness, flakiness, hypersensitivity, and redness.
- Grapeseed oil is lightweight, stable, and moisturizing. It has a high affinity with the structure of skin cells, so it absorbs quickly without leaving a greasy feeling on the skin.
- Pomegranate and pumpkin enzymes deliver a gentle yet effective exfoliation.
This multipurpose moisturizer balances skin flora, which helps prevent unbalanced, damaged skin. According to the brand, it’s clinically proven to effectively hydrate the skin while minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Improves skin firmness, elasticity, and radiance.
- An alfalfa complex is a natural retinol to help reinforce the skin barrier.
- Shea butter protects the skin, helps maintain its natural barrier, and deeply moisturizes.
- Squalane helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, flakiness, and dryness and is non-comedogenic, making it great for congested or oily skin types.
ALTERNATIVES: Carrot & Stick The Moisturizer. It’s overflowing with potent plant proteins, vitamins, peptides and amino-collagen.
A gentle, peptide-packed eye cream that helps safeguard elasticity while reducing the appearance of puffiness, fine lines, and wrinkles.
- Promotes a visibly firm, refreshed, and illuminated eye contour.
- Three peptides work synergistically to help stimulate collagen production.
- Hyaluronic acid is a gold standard ingredient because it can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water. It’s also a humectant, which attracts moisture to the skin.
ALTERNATIVES: If you are concerned about aging around the eyes , one product we recommend is Carrot & Stick The Eye Cream.
Hyaluronic Acid Serum
This results-driven hyaluronic acid serum targets multiple layers of the skin. It provides immediate and long-lasting moisture—up to 72 hours.
- Hyaluronic acid works as a moisture magnet to plump up the skin, deeply hydrate, and reduce the appearance of fine lines.
- The low molecular weight HA delivers below-the-surface hydration, while the high molecular weight provides immediate hydration to the skin’s surface.
- Rosa centifolia flower water soothes, refreshes, and hydrates.
- Hyaluronic acid is coupled with ethyl ascorbic acid (9%), a water-soluble, stable vitamin C derivative that helps brighten, improve collagen production and soften the appearance of wrinkles.
Vitamin C8 Serum
As the name suggests, this potent serum is formulated with a high concentration of vitamin C8 to help stimulate collagen production and soften the signs of aging skin.
- Ethyl ascorbic acid (9%), a water-soluble, stable vitamin C derivative, helps reduce the appearance of discoloration, fine lines, and wrinkles.
- Gives the skin a healthy, radiant glow.
This non-greasy face oil was formulated to revitalize and restore the skin while you’re sleeping — think of it as beauty sleep in a bottle. Skin appears more plump, smooth, hydrated, and youthful-looking.
- Helps hydrate and protect the skin’s natural barrier.
- Formulated with a blend of 14 nourishing, reparative, and hydrating botanical oils, including sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, argan oil, kukui oil, jojoba oil, sea buckthorn berry oil, baobab oil, brown seaweed oil, apricot oil, acai oil, passionfruit oil, and pomegranate oil.
Alternatives: Carrot & Stick The Repair Serum. It contains 7 plant-based peptides to help promote smoother looking skin.
Revive dull, lackluster skin with these potent, vitamin C-charged oil drops that immediately promote a luminous complexion.
- An active form of oil-soluble vitamin C restores radiance while reducing the appearance of dark spots.
- Squalane helps reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, flakiness, and dryness and is non-comedogenic, making it great for congested or oily skin types.
While we appreciate that SKKN BY KIM products are formulated with evidence-based ingredients like hyaluronic acid, peptides, and alpha hydroxy acids, the formulas aren’t exactly revolutionary and don’t quite justify the high price point — $630 for all nine products; $90 average cost per product.
Several dermatologists shared their thoughts on SKKN BY KIM with USA TODAY. Kardashian told the publication that the price is justified by “advice” from skincare experts. Still, according to Dr. Azadeh Shirazi, a board-certified dermatologist at La Jolla Dermatology and Laser Surgery Center, nothing sets the formulas apart from others.
“The products don’t look like they’re anything groundbreaking or novel that you couldn’t find elsewhere. Many more affordable products on the market have very similar formulations. The price is really her name, her face, and the packaging.”
- We appreciate the brand’s sustainability efforts, including refillable bottles, jars, and recyclable refills.
- The clean formulas are gluten-free and are void of sulfates, synthetic fragrances, BHT, and PEGs.
- The brand claims to be cruelty-free, but it does not state whether or not it’s Leaping Bunny Certified.
What are some alternatives to SKKN BY KIM?
While we strive to provide accurate reviews, the reality is that not every product or brand is for everyone. The good news is that you have options.
The Derm Review is affiliated with Carrot & Stick and Formulyst. While we stand behind our brands, we’re not here to tell you what to put on your skin — that’s up to you. However, we still believe it’s worth sharing a few alternative top-rated brands.
- Carrot & Stick is another clean brand that harnesses the power of evidence-based ingredients backed by science. The brand never formulates any of its products with ingredients from the “Nix List,” such as sulfates, parabens, formaldehydes, phthalates, mineral oil, retinyl palmitate, oxybenzone, coal tar, hydroquinone, triclosan, triclocarban, synthetic fragrances or animal-based ingredients.
- Formulyst develops results-driven formulas with efficacious ingredients. The brand’s philosophy is to create the right products to treat skin issues. Formulyst believes in long-term solutions and prevention rather than quick fixes. The focus is on gold-standard ingredients such as hyaluronic acid and niacinamide, rather than creating products that feel good and smell good and are contained in fancy packaging.
- Fenty Skin by Rhianna is an excellent alternative if you’re looking for a results-driven, clean celebrity skincare brand at a lower price point than SKKN. It’s gender inclusive, many of the products are multi-tasking, and the brand makes sustainable efforts and is cruelty-free.
- We also stand by Biossance. Its products are clean, nontoxic, results-driven, and formulated using the highest standards in the industry. The brand even has a blacklist of over 2,000 toxic ingredients, and they prioritize sustainability with eco-friendly formulas and packaging. Biossance is cruelty-free, and the products are officially Leaping Bunny Certified.