Biossance is a skin care brand that uses squalane oil as the key ingredient in all of their products. It has been known for centuries that squalene can help moisturize and improve the health of skin. Squalene is typically obtained from sharks (the livers of sharks contain a rich supply of squalene). However, Biossance scientists have created a renewable, sugarcane-derived version called squalane that saves 2 million sharks every year.
In this Biossance review, we’ll give you more details on the benefits of squalane, including the research that supports its use in skin care. We’ll also discuss the brand’s best selling products, key ingredients, Biossance reviews from real customers, and more.
What Are The Top 10 Best Biossance Skin Care Products?
Biossance skin care products can treat a variety of common skin concerns, such as aging skin, dry skin, dull skin, and oily skin. The types of skin care products they currently offer include moisturizers, oils, masks, serums, cleansers, eye care, and lip care. Here’s a breakdown of the top 10 best Biossance products.
Biossance Squalane Oil
- Contains only one ingredient: 100% squalane oil
- Can be used on your face, body, and hair
- Claimed to instantly hydrate and lock in essential moisture, leaving the skin exceptionally soft and smooth
- When used on the hair, Biossance Squalane Oil can help to add shine and tame flyaways, split ends, and frizz
Biossance Squalane Phyto Retinol Serum
- A lightweight anti-aging serum that is said to reduce the look of lines and wrinkles while visibly firming skin
- Bakuchiol is a key ingredient. This east asian plant seed extract provides many of the same benefits as retinol, including the ability to diminish the appearance of wrinkles and reduce the effects of sun damage (including uneven skin tone) without the irritation or sensitivity that is typically associated with retinol
- Additional key ingredients include niacinamide, sodium hyaluronate, and rosehip oil
Biossance Squalane Marine Algae Eye Cream
- A rich eye cream that is said to revitalize and bring a lifted look to eyes.
- Astaxanthin is a key ingredient. This carotenoid is one of the most powerful known antioxidants that can help to prevent oxidative damage to skin after exposure to UVA radiation
- Contains paracress extract, which helps to lift saggy eyelids by reducing muscle tension, as well as reorganize and tighten collagen fibres by stimulating the fibroblasts. Ultimately, this results in firmer and smoother skin.
Biossance Squalane Zinc Sheer Mineral Sunscreen
- This Biossance sunscreen is a 100% non-nano, non-toxic SPF 30 mineral sunscreen that is guaranteed to protect the skin without leaving behind a white cast like most mineral sunscreens do
- Lightweight yet deeply hydrating lotion that blends into all skin tones, leaving a soft, dewy finish
- 14% zinc oxide provides broad spectrum SPF 30 protections
- Includes Nymphaea Alba (water lily) flower extract, which contains tannins, alkaloids, saponins, and polysaccharides. These components provide a strong nourishing, moisturizing, and regenerating effect on the skin, which helps to cool and calm skin after UV exposure and heat stress
Biossance Squalane Vitamin C Rose Oil
- Vitamin-C-rich facial oil that is said to target dullness, dark spots, and discolorations while increasing brightness, firmness and radiance
- Contains the stable, oil-soluble vitamin C derivative known as tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate. Once absorbed into the skin, tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate is converted to ascorbic acid (the active form of vitamin C)
- Ascorbic acid exerts potent antioxidant activity, stimulates collagen synthesis, and reduces the appearance of dark spots through inhibition of melanin synthesis
Biossance Squalane Lactic Acid Resurfacing Serum
- Lactic acid serum that is said to dissolve dead surface cells to reveal soft, luminous new skin below
- The brand claims that results are visible quickly—as soon as overnight, or after only 1-2 weeks
- Lactic acid exfoliates the skin by breaking down keratin, a protein that acts as a glue to hold together the dead skin cells that make up the stratum corneum. It also enhances cellular renewal by increasing cell turnover rates in the upper layers of your skin and acts like a magnet to attract and retain moisture in the skin
- Additional key ingredients include caprylic/capric triglyceride, squalane, and glycerin
Biossance Squalane Omega Repair Cream
- Rich facial cream that moisturizes skin without leaving a greasy after feel
- Formulated with lipids that mimic and support skin’s natural moisture barrier: squalane, omega fatty acids, ceramides and plant sterols
- Additional key ingredients include caprylic/capric triglyceride, shea butter, and sodium hyaluronate
Biossance Squalane Probiotic Gel Moisturizer
- Hydrating gel moisturizer that is claimed to calm and soothe skin with visible redness—even skin with rosacea
- Contains probiotics (lactococcus ferment lysate) that collaborate with your skin to restore the skin’s microbiome. The microbiome is a population of many types of bacteria (over 10,000 different species) that are both good and bad. When there’s more bad bacteria than good, skin conditions like acne, sensitive skin, and bumpy, uneven skin texture can develop. Thus, keeping the microbiome balanced is critical in maintaining healthy skin.
- Additional key ingredients include squalane, glycerin, dimethicone, and caprylic/capric triglyceride
Biossance Squalane Vitamin C Dark Spot Serum
- 10% vitamin C treatment for dark spots
- Claimed to show visible brightening instantly, while it works over time to dissolve pigmentation and prevent new discoloration
- Contains the stable vitamin C derivative 3-O-Ethyl Ascorbic Acid
- Additional key ingredients include squalane, white shiitake mushroom extract, licorice root extract, and sodium hyaluronate
Biossance Squalane Omega Repair Hand Cream
- Deeply moisturizing, protective hand repair cream treatment
- Claimed to comfort dry, chapped, and/or irritated hands for immediate relief while boosting radiance for dewy, healthy-looking skin without adding shine
- Key ingredients include glycerin, caprylic/capric triglyceride, squalane, shea butter, ceramides, and vitamin E
What Are The Key Ingredients in Biossance Skin Care Products?
Biossance skin care products are clean, nontoxic, and formulated using the highest standards in the industry. The brand even has a blacklist of over 2,000 toxic ingredients, and they prioritize sustainability with eco-friendly formulas and packaging.
As you may have noticed in the previous section, squalane is a key ingredient in all Biossance skin care products. Squalane is claimed to replenish lost moisture, calm irritation, help to maintain hydration, and leave the skin exceptionally soft. But what exactly is squalane?
Did you know that your skin contains its own version of squalane known as squalene (note the e)? Squalene is the biochemical precursor to cholesterol and the whole family of steroid hormones in the human body. It is produced by the oil glands in the skin, and plays an important role in skin lubrication and protection. However, the amount made and retained in the skin decreases over time. It peaks in our teens and then starts to decline in our 20’s, leaving skin rough, dry, and vulnerable.
According to a publication in the journal Advances in Food and Nutrition Research, anticancer, antioxidant, detoxifying, skin hydrating, and emollient activities of both squalene and squalane have been reported both in animal models and in vitro environments.
Since squalene is very unstable, Biossance uses squalane because it is a saturated and stable hydrocarbon that mimics squalene. Squalane helps to replenish the skin’s lipid barrier, which is composed of corneocytes (dead skin cells) held together by mixtures of lipids (ceramides, cholesterol, fatty acids, squalene, etc.), according to a publication in the journal Dermatoendocrinology.
A strong, intact barrier is important to keep moisture in and keep things like allergens, bacteria, and irritants out. When the barrier is weakened, these intruders can pass through the top layer of skin, causing damage that ultimately leads to common skin conditions such as acne, rashes, sensitive skin, and even signs of aging.
Replenishing the skin’s lipid barrier with products containing squalane can help to prevent these problems. You can use Biossance Squalane Oil if you like facial oils, but keep in mind that squalane is used in all of the brand’s products. Squalane is a suitable moisturizer for all skin types.
Biossance has found a way to produce squalane as safely and effectively as the body does. The brand derives their squalane from 100% plant-based, renewable sugarcane, which is then bio-fermented to create the end result—highly stable, sustainable, and eco-friendly squalane.
Where are Biossance Skin Care Products Sold?
Biossance skin care products are sold on the brand’s website, as well as several third party online retailers such as Sephora, HSN, and Amazon.
What is The Biossance Return Policy?
The Biossance return policy states, “If you are not completely satisfied with your Biossance purchase for any reason, you are able to return it for a refund within 60 days from ship date.”
Is Biossance Cruelty Free?
Biossance is cruelty free and the products are officially Leaping Bunny Certified. Leaping Bunny Certification means Biossance skin care products are free of animal testing at every stage of product development.
Biossance reviews on the brand’s website are overall very positive. For example, the Biossance Squalane Oil has received an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars after more than 700 customer reviews.
Positive Biossance reviews mention that squalane helps to keep the skin hydrated and soft without feeling too greasy or heavy. For example, one very positive review says, “I absolutely adore the oi!! It’s very light and soaks right into your skin after a minute or so there is no oily finish which is so nice especially for my face!! I hate using lotions so this was such a great buy!!”
One Biossance review from a customer with dry skin says, “I have dry skin and this oil helps keep it moisturized. It doesn’t go on sticky. I would recommend this product!”
There aren’t many negative Biossance reviews for the 100% Squalane Oil, but those that we did read were mostly from customers who didn’t notice much of a difference after using this facial oil. For example, one customer shares, “Honestly, this oil does nothing for me. Doesn’t really moisturize my skin and I don’t see any type of improvement.” Others comment that this oil is not worth the price.
Overall, we think that the Biossance products are formulated well and there are many positive Biossance reviews for customers who noticed results after using these products.
- Products contain evidence based ingredients (squalane, shea butter, sodium hyaluronate, etc)
- Products are fragrance free
- Many positive Biossance reviews
- Some products packaged in jars, which we cause delicate ingredients to degrade over time due to exposure to light and air
What Are Some Alternatives to Biossance Skin Care?
As you can see, Biossance formulates their skin care products to contain mostly naturally-derived ingredients to treat a variety of skin concerns. While there is a growing consumer demand for natural products, it’s important to keep in mind that there are numerous synthetic skin care ingredients that are not only safe to use but also provide many benefits to the skin.
That’s why we recommend Formulyst products. Formulyst believes in long-term skin care treatments rather than short-term cover-ups. For example, Formulyst’s Pro-Collagen Serum is specifically formulated for aging skin that has experienced a loss of collagen. Think of collagen as the scaffolding of the skin; it gives structure, support and suppleness. But collagen production naturally slows down as we age, causing wrinkles and fine lines to appear. Formulyst’s Pro-Collagen Serum contains a highly concentrated mix of peptides and proteins, derived from seaweed, wheat and soy, to help tackle these signs of aging. Apply a few drops of this hydrating serum to help skin look smoother and younger.
There’s no need to compromise when it comes to finding skincare that is effective and safe. Carrot & Stick takes a tough love approach to skincare, perfectly balancing the power of plants with cutting edge science. Not only is Carrot & Stick good for your skin, it is also good for the environment as the formulas skip harmful chemicals commonly found in skin care products.