The luminesce anti-aging skin care line is said to restore youthful vitality and radiance to your skin, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and reveal your unique glow. Developed by dermatologists, the formulas in the luminesce line include the proprietary APT-200. So what is APT-200 and how can it help give you more youthful looking skin? Keep reading below to find out!
The luminesce line was developed by a global brand of youth enhancement products known as Jeunesse. luminesce is just one of the nine regimens that Jeunesse produces, which are said to work together to keep you looking and feeling young. The skin care products found in the luminesce collection are considered the “rejuvenation” aspect of their nine-part synergistic system.
There are eight different products that make up the luminesce anti-aging skin care line. Below is a brief description of each of these products.
- Cellular rejuvenation serum: Applied after cleansing, this serum is said to help minimize the look of fine lines and wrinkles to restore your skin’s youthful radiance. An interesting ingredient in this serum is saccharomyces lysate extract, a yeast compound. The little evidence that can be found for this ingredient suggests that it is a source of beta-glucan, which is a good antioxidant.
- Flawless skin brightener: This hydrating formula includes ingredients that reduce the appearance hyperpigmentation, refine the look of pores, and brighten skin. Key ingredients in this product include Ascorbyl Glucoside (vitamin C), Niacinamide (vitamin B3), Tranexamic Acid, Achillea Millefolium extract, and Tremella Fuciformis (Silver Ear) Mushroom extract.
- Hydrashield mask: Jeunesse made the Luminesce HydraShield Mask with biocellulose material rather than paper or hydrogel, because biocellulose masks adhere more snugly to your skin and prevent ingredients from evaporating as quickly. This also helps the HydraShield Mask seal in moisture, giving you up to 24 hours of hydration.
- Youth restoring cleanser: This cleanser gently removes debris and impurities while exfoliating with alpha and beta hydroxy acids to reveal younger and smoother-looking skin.
- Daily moisturizing complex: This daytime moisturizer protects your skin from UV rays by using chemical sunscreens, which work by absorbing UV light, then transforming that light energy into some other form of energy, such as heat. It also contains silicones, which give the skin a smooth, silky feel and glycerin, a humectant moisturizer that draws water into the skin.
- Advanced night repair: Inside this nighttime moisturizer you’ll find antioxidants and hydrating ingredients designed to replenish your skin while you sleep. Some of the antioxidants found in this product include niacinamide (vitamin B3), superoxide dismutase, green tea leaf extract, Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (vitamin A), Ubiquinone (CoQ10), and Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C).
- Ultimate lifting masque: After cleansing, this masque can be used to further exfoliate the skin. It is applied for 15 to 20 minutes and then peeled off. Interestingly, this masque does not contain many exfoliating ingredients. It does, however, contain a decent amount of alcohol, so those with dry skin should be cautious if using this product since alcohol can dry out the skin.
- Essential body renewal: This lotion is designed to be applied all over your body in order to soften and hydrate the skin. It does contain several hydrating ingredients, such as glycerin, niacinamide, squalane, and several fruit extracts.
Developed by Jeunesse’s experienced team of dermatologists, the luminesce products feature the proprietary APT-200, which is the brand’s name for the ingredient “Human Adipose Stromal Cell Conditioned Media Extract”. To break this down for you, adipose is the technical term for fat, therefore, the stromal cells are taken from human fat. Stromal cells have the capability of differentiating into many different types of cells. The conditioned media extract is actually the solution in which the cells are grown. After extracting cells from human adipose tissue thousands of new cells are grown in the lab. Conditioned media is the solution (sugars, amino acids, etc.) that is put in the petri dish in which the cells are grown.
The theory behind using this conditioned media is due to the growth factors and cytokines secreted by the cells as they are being cultured. As we age, these growth factors are reduced, and this is one of the underlying reasons skin has an aged appearance. This commonly shows up as the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It is thought that the growth factors and cytokines can work with the natural processes of the skin to support rejuvenation and decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Some people are worried about using products like luminesce because they inaccurately believe that there are actual human cells in these products. It is important to remember that APT-200 is made of the extract from the petri dish in which the cells were grown.
Of note, all of the luminesce products contain fragrance, which is something to be aware of if you have sensitive skin.
Unfortunately, Jeunesse does not feature customer reviews on their website. These products have positive reviews on Amazon, typically receiving an average of 3.5 to 4 out of 5 stars.
What Are Alternatives to Luminesce?
There’s no need to compromise when it comes to finding skincare that is effective and safe. Carrot & Stick takes a tough love approach to skincare, perfectly balancing the power of plants with cutting edge science. Not only is Carrot & Stick good for your skin, it is also good for the environment as the formulas skip harmful chemicals commonly found in skin care products.