The inspiration for Beekman 1802 — a skin care brand that uses goat milk as a key ingredient — was born when founders Josh Kilmer-Purcell and Dr. Brent Ridge moved to the historic Beekman 1802 farm in rural Sharon Springs, NY. With 100 goats on their farm, Josh and Dr. Brent started using the milk from their goats to make goat milk soap right in their kitchen and sharing with their neighbors.
Josh and Dr. Brent knew that goat milk was an excellent ingredient to moisturize, exfoliate, and nourish your skin, but they had no idea that their neighbors would love the goat milk soap so much. As word spread about their soap, the brand grew and the founders started to create even more skin care products with goat milk. Today, Beekman 1802 is the world’s biggest goat-milk based skincare company.
Below we’ll review the Beekman 1802 products with a scientific lens, meaning we’ll evaluate the research that supports (or doesn’t support) goat milk and the other ingredients you’ll find in these products. We’ll also share some Beekman 1802 reviews so you can get a better idea of what customers really think about these products.
Is Beekman 1802 Worth The Money?
A common question about this brand is if the products are worth the cost.
In our opinion, Beekman 1802 products deliver value for money, but take a look at other brands that don’t require you to sacrifice your precious money.
We recommend brands that are committed to developing clean yet effective products.
One brand is Carrot & Stick, a clean skincare brand that perfectly balances the gentle nurturing of plants with the powerful results of innovative science.
Carrot & Stick intro bundles deliver great value for money because you can bundle 3 full-size products worth up to
$240 for $88.
What Are The Top 10 Best Beekman 1802 Products?
Beekman 1802 offers a collection of products for every step of your skin care routine, including cleansers, moisturizers, serums, oils, face masks, eye care, lip care, body care, and more. The Beekman 1802 soap products are the most popular, but we’ll also review a few of the other best selling Beekman 1802 products.
Pure Goat Milk Body Bar Soap
- Fragrance-free body soap with goat milk as the key ingredient
- Goat milk has the same pH as human skin, and it’s rich in lactic acid, vitamins, and minerals to help renew and strengthen skin
- Additional key ingredients include mild surfactants, such as sodium palmate and sodium cocoate
- Can be used by all skin types, including those with sensitive skin
Rose Apothecary Goat Milk Soap
- Created as a tribute to the popular TV show Schitt’s Creek
- The brand renamed their popular scent, Heirloom Rose, into Rose Apothecary — the namesake of David Rose’s general store in Schitt’s Creek
- Key ingredients include goat milk, kukui nut oil, jojoba oil, and shea butter
- Contains fragrance
Pure Goat Milk Whipped Body Cream
- Body cream that is claimed to soften, nourish, and condition skin
- Key ingredients include goat milk, coconut oil, palm oil, mango seed butter, aloe, and green tea
Bloom Cream Daily Probiotic Moisturizer
- A facial moisturizer that combines goat milk and probiotics
- Claimed to deeply nourish and bring balance to all skin types for healthy, dewy, radiant skin
- Additional key ingredients include coconut-derived emollients, aloe, honey, blue thistle flower extract, cucumber extract, and several more botanical extracts
- Fragrance free
Dream Booster Bakuchiol Beta-Retinol Better Aging Serum
- Anti-aging facial serum to be used at night
- One key ingredient is bakuchiol, a plant-based ingredient that has been shown to produce many of the same effects of using retinol, including the ability to diminish the appearance of wrinkles and reduce the effects of sun damage (including uneven skin tone) without causing irritation
- Additional key ingredients include sunflower seed oil, jojoba seed oil, squalane, and many botanical extracts
Milk Wash Exfoliating Jelly Cleanser
- Exfoliating cleanser that transforms from a light jelly formula into a milk to dissolve makeup and exfoliate skin
- Claimed to draw out oil-based debris and leave skin feeling silky, soft, and moisturized rather than dry and tight
- Key ingredients include AHAs (lactic, glycolic, tartaric, and malic acid) and a BHA (salicylic acid)
Buttermilk Makeup Melting Cleansing Balm
- Cleansing balm that transforms from a buttery balm to a cleansing milk upon contact with water in order to melt away all traces of dirt, makeup, and sunscreen
- Claimed to promote healthy, radiant skin
- Key ingredients include goat milk, coconut-derived surfactants, sunflower seed wax, colostrum, probiotics, and many botanical extracts
Milk Mud Warming Clay Mask
- Facial mask that transforms into a thick paste in order to exfoliate, help open pores, loosen dead skin cells, and purge dirt and oil deep within the skin
- Claimed to instantly reveal clearer, brighter skin
- Key ingredients include glycerin, kaolin, zeolite, jojoba esters, a blend of AHAs, salicylic acid, and goat milk
Milk Drops Probiotic Ceramide Serum
- Lightweight probiotic milk serum
- Claimed to restore skin’s healthy hydration, help control oily skin, clear pores, balance discoloration, boost skin health, and fight dullness
- Key ingredients include rose flower extract, glycerin, ceramide 3, goat milk, colostrum, probiotics, squalane, and sodium hyaluronate
Milk Foam Calming Bubble Mask
- At home oxygen facial
- Oxygen molecules in this formula start to bubble when they come into contact with the natural oils on your skin to boost circulation and collagen production
- Claimed to instantly calm redness, soothe irritation, and plump skin
- Key ingredients include glycerin, cocamidopropyl betaine, goat milk, colostrum, and probiotics
What’s Inside Beekman 1802?
You already know that goat milk is the key ingredient in all Beekman 1802 products, and we bet you’re wondering: is goat milk really going to help my skin? To answer this question, we’ll discuss the different components in goat milk and how they may improve the health of your skin.
According to Healthline, one benefit of goat milk is that it has the same pH as human skin. This means when you cleanse with a goat milk product you won’t disturb the skin’s acid mantle. The acid mantle acts as a barrier, protecting skin from environmental factors such as bacteria, viruses, and other contaminants that might penetrate the skin. When the acid mantle is disturbed, you may develop symptoms such as redness, irritation, dryness, and even eczema.
That’s why goat milk skin care products, like Beekman 1802, are great for helping to relieve these symptoms and restore the acid mantle.
One of the primary components of goat milk is lactic acid, a type of alpha hydroxy acid (AHA). Lactic acid exfoliates the skin by breaking down keratin, a protein that acts as a glue to hold together the dead skin cells that make up the stratum corneum. It also enhances cellular renewal by increasing cell turnover rates in the upper layers of your skin.
And just when you think it couldn’t get any better, it can: lactic acid is a natural humectant that acts like a magnet to attract and retain moisture in the skin. Ultimately, this means the goat milk in Beekman 1802 products can help to promote a smoother, brighter, more hydrated complexion.
In addition to lactic acid, you’ll find many other beneficial components in goat milk, such as vitamins A, B6, B12 and E. It also contains fatty acids like capric, caprylic, and caproic acid. These components work together to nourish, hydrate, and protect the skin. They can also help to restore the skin barrier.
Besides goat milk, Beekman 1802 products contain a variety of supporting ingredients, such as emollients, probiotics, honey, colostrum, and many different botanical extracts.
Retinol is the go-to anti-aging ingredient recommended by dermatologists and skin experts. It’s clinically proven to minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, improve uneven skin tone, restore skin firmness, and shrink the appearance of enlarged pores.
The only downside? Retinol can often lead to side effects like skin dryness, peeling, and irritation.
That’s why brands like Beekman 1802 are turning to retinol alternatives, such as bakuchiol, which has been shown to produce many of the same effects of retinol, including the ability to diminish the appearance of wrinkles and reduce the effects of sun damage (including uneven skin tone). One of the main benefits of bakuchiol is that it provides retinol-like effects without irritation.
Another retinol alternative is Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate, an ingredient that provides the same benefits of retinol but without the irritation. It’s found in this retinoid oil serum.
One thing to note is that some of the brand’s products, including the popular Beekman 1802 soap products, contain fragrance. This can be a problem for all skin types, but especially those with sensitive skin. So why is fragrance a problem in skin care? Let’s look at the science.
All fragrance ingredients (whether natural or synthetic) impart scent through a volatile reaction, and this natural reaction almost always causes a sensitizing reaction on skin. In fact, according to a 2016 publication in the scholarly journal Dermatitis, nearly 80 essential oils have caused contact allergy.
Even if you don’t have a full blown reaction to the ingredient, the damage may still be occurring every day. Ultimately, this can cause mild problems for your skin in the short term and worse problems in the long term.
Where to Buy Beekman 1802 Products?
Beekman 1802 products are sold on the brand’s website, as well as in the Beekman 1802 Mercantile in Sharon Springs, NY.
What is The Beekman 1802 Return Policy?
The Beekman 1802 return policy states, “We want every customer to be entirely thrilled with their Beekman 1802 purchase. But if you’re not thrilled, we are happy to accept returns from purchases made at Beekman1802.com or from the Beekman 1802 Mercantile in Sharon Springs, NY. Beekman 1802 accepts returns of unopened items purchased directly from beekman1802.com within 30 days of the delivery date.”
Is Beekman 1802 Cruelty Free?
Yes, Beekman 1802 is cruelty free and is a PETA certified Beauty Without Bunnies partner.
Beekman 1802 Reviews
Beekman 1802 reviews on the brand’s website are overall very positive. The Beekman 1802 soap products have received the most reviews, for example, the Pure Goat Milk Body Bar Soap has more than 400 customer reviews with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
There are many positive Beekman 1802 reviews from customers who noticed that the Beekman 1802 soap not only helped to keep their skin clean, but also nourished and soft.
For example, one review says, “I’m really enjoying this soap! This is the first bar I’ve purchased since using body wash for about a decade, and I couldn’t be happier! I did a TON of research on clean (and I mean ACTUALLY clean, not just “clean”) personal products and Beekman 1802 is a rare find. The soap lathers generously, without any harsh scents or dreaded film, and my skin is very soft when I use this. Highly recommended!”
However, there are some negative reviews for the Beekman 1802 soap from customers who experienced negative reactions after using this soap, such as rashes and irritation.
For example, one review says, “I have eczema and this soap gave me a rash after three hand washings. I read the ingredients, and there are some that are considered health hazards, and a ton of ingredients overall when compared to real pure soap. I’m really stunned by the recommendation that this soap be used for sensitive skin and eczema when it contains Tetrasodium Etidronate, which the EWG rates as having some concern for skin irritation. This ingredient list is not clean or pure.”
Overall, we think that Beekman 1802 products are formulated well, and we think that these could be a good option if you have sensitive skin or skin conditions such as eczema due to the inclusion of goat milk in these products. However, we’d recommend avoiding the Beekman 1802 products that contain fragrance.
- Goat milk is a beneficial skin care ingredient, especially for those with sensitive skin
- Beekman 1802 products also include beneficial supporting ingredients, such as emollients, probiotics, honey, colostrum, and many different botanical extracts
- Many positive Beekman 1802 reviews
- High cost ($15 USD for just one bar of soap)
- Some products contain fragrance
What Are Some Alternatives to Beekman 1802 Skin Care?
If you’re looking for skincare products to address the signs of aging, we recommend Carrot & Stick. Carrot & Stick maximizes the use of powerful ingredients and minimizes the use of superficial ones, resulting in advanced skincare solutions that help promote healthy, more youthful-looking skin. We recommend the Day & Night Routine.
1.Healthline “Three Reasons Goat Milk is the Secret Ingredient Your Skin Needs”
2. de Groot AC, Schmidt E. Essential Oils, Part IV: Contact Allergy. Dermatitis. 2016;27(4):170-175. doi:10.1097/DER.0000000000000197