Everyone embarks on the quest for smoother, more radiant skin texture at some point in their life. However, this age is different for everyone. Some people struggle with acne scars and bumpy skin texture after puberty. Others are fortunate to have clear smooth skin during their teenage years and into adulthood, but sun damage and age-related hormonal changes can contribute to dry, rough skin. No matter your situation, if you’re wondering how to get clear, smooth skin, read below for 7 ways to improve skin texture.
7 ways to improve skin texture
- Exfoliate on a regular basis Exfoliation is any process that removes dead skin cells from the outermost layer of skin. The buildup of dead and keratinized skin cells can take a toll on your skin’s texture and appearance, which is why exfoliating on a regular basis is important to achieve smooth skin. There are two types of exfoliation: physical and chemical. Physical exfoliation, also referred to as mechanical exfoliation, utilizes an abrasive substance to scrub away dead skin cells through motion. Chemical exfoliation utilizes chemical agents to break up dead skin cells, allowing them to be washed away more easily.
While both methods of exfoliation can help with skin texture improvement, most skin care experts recommend using chemical exfoliants. This is because physical exfoliants, like microbeads and crushed walnut shells, are too abrasive for the skin and may cause microtears and irritation. Thus, it is best to look for an over-the-counter product that contains chemical exfoliants, such as alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs)
AHAs include glycolic acid, lactic acid, mandelic acid, tartaric acid, malic acid, and citric acid. These ingredients exfoliate the skin by targeting corneocytes (dead skin cells that make up the top layers of skin) in a process called corneocyte desquamation. By enhancing their breakdown and increasing the separation of skin cells, the rate of cell turnover is increased. Ultimately, this helps to improve uneven skin texture, resulting in smoother, softer skin.
- Keep skin pores clear with a BHA Pores are another thing to consider when it comes to skin texture improvement. If you have big pores on your face, you may have tried products that claim to “shrink” or “tighten” pores. However, it is actually a common misconception that skin pores can be tightened. This is because skin pores do not have muscles around their opening to allow them to open and close. So, rather than purchasing products that make false claims about tightening pores, it’s best to focus on keeping pores clear. When skin pores are clear, they appear smaller and less noticeable.
One of the best ingredients you can use to clear skin pores is salicylic acid, a type of beta hydroxy acid (BHA). It works by softening and dissolving keratin, a protein found in the skin that acts as a “glue” to keep cells together. Thus, salicylic acid exfoliates the skin and sloughs off dead skin cells. Since it is an oil-soluble acid, it has the ability to penetrate deep into pores instead of remaining only on the skin surface. Inside the pores, it helps to loosen clogs and allows oil to flow out more freely. Thus, salicylic acid helps to improve uneven skin texture by breaking down blackheads and whiteheads, as well as keeping pores clear.
- Try an oil based moisturizer for rough skin If you have rough skin on your face or body, you may want to consider trying an oil based moisturizer to improve skin texture. Dry, rough skin occurs when your skin produces less sebum (oil) than normal, and can also occur if the skin’s lipid barrier is depleted. The lipid barrier contains about 50 percent ceramides, 25 percent cholesterol, and about 10 to 15 percent fatty acids. Without these essential lipids, the barrier is weakened and the skin becomes dry and rough. An oil based moisturizer will contain ingredients to replenish the skin’s barrier function and improve skin texture. Oil based moisturizers are also a great choice for cold climates and winter months. The combination of windy, cold, dry weather outside and humidity-depleting heaters indoors can cause skin texture to become dry, rough, and ashy. An oil based moisturizer with a thick texture can protect the skin from these conditions and improve skin texture.
- Vitamin C to even out skin texture + tone Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that is well known to help even out skin tone, improve uneven skin texture, fade dark spots, and brighten the complexion. Vitamin C donates electrons to neutralize reactive oxygen species (ROS) such as the superoxide ion and peroxide that are generated when the skin is exposed to UV light. This is important because ROS can damage important cellular components, such as DNA and collagen, which can lead to lines, wrinkles, and uneven skin texture.
Vitamin C also has the ability to reduce the appearance of dark spots and improve uneven skin tone. This is accomplished through inhibition of melanin synthesis. Melanin is a pigment that gives our skin color, but too much of this pigment can lead to undesirable dark spots called hyperpigmentation. Vitamin C decreases melanin formation by inhibiting tyrosinase, an enzyme that is required for melanin synthesis. The result is skin that appears brighter with less dark spots and a more even skin tone.
- Probiotics for skin texture improvement The use of probiotics in skin care is a relatively new trend that is claimed to promote clear, flawless skin by restoring the skin’s microbiome. The microbiome is a population of many types of bacteria (over 10,000 different species) that are both good and bad. When there’s more bad bacteria than good, skin conditions like acne, sensitive skin, and bumpy, uneven skin texture can develop. Thus, keeping the microbiome balanced is critical in maintaining healthy skin. This is where probiotics come into the picture. Probiotics include various strains of helpful bacteria that collaborate with your skin. Scientists have identified a few strains of bacteria that are able to improve the appearance of the skin by strengthening it through improved barrier function. Overall, probiotic skin care products are another option for skin texture improvement.
- Try a chemical peel Chemical peels can be an effective way to improve skin texture if you’re willing to spend the time (and money!) making a trip to your dermatologist’s office. There are several different types of chemical peels that don’t require a prescription (i.e. salicylic acid). Medium peels use trichloroacetic acid (TCA) in concentrations ranging between 25% and 50%. Deep peels use high concentrations of TCA or phenol to strip away more layers of skin. While chemical peels are lauded for their ability to promote clear, smooth skin, that doesn’t mean they don’t have any drawbacks. As the name implies, a chemical peel causes the skin to literally peel off, along with redness, stinging, numbness, and burning of the skin. Chemical peels also increase your sensitivity to sunlight, so it’s imperative to wear sunscreen every day for months after the peel to prevent serious damage.
- Sunscreen to prevent uneven skin texture All of the tips mentioned above for skin texture improvement can help to get rid of textured skin. However, it is best if you can prevent the development of uneven skin texture in the first place. One way to do this is to wear a broad spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen on all sun-exposed skin daily. Sunscreen not only helps to prevent fine lines and wrinkles, but also reduces the amount of redness and unevenness in skin.
Best products for textured skin
One of the best products for textured skin is Formulyst Retexturing and Perfecting Serum, which contains an active AHA complex (glycolic acid). This lightweight serum is expertly formulated to gently exfoliate, clean, and refine pores, as well as help remove dead cells and visibly reveal the brighter, healthier skin beneath. Overall, Formulyst Retexturing and Perfecting Serum delivers perceptible improvement to the tone and texture of your skin, while also helping to reduce the appearance of uneven, blotchy skin.
Another excellent product for textured skin is Formulyst Active Serum, which contains a potent blend of vitamins B, C, and E, ferulic acid, and niacinamide. Vitamins C and E are network antioxidants, which means that when used together their antioxidant activity is even more powerful. Plus, ferulic acid enhances the efficacy and stability of vitamins C and E. Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B3 that is known to repair the skin barrier and improve skin moisture, as well as reduce inflammation, blotchiness, hyperpigmentation, and wrinkling. As you can see, the Formulyst Active Serum is truly a multi-tasking serum that provides your skin with a powerful dose of antioxidants to help with skin texture improvement.
As you can see, there are many different products and treatments you can use for skin texture improvement. You can even try incorporating several of these tips together for better results, such as exfoliating on a regular basis, always wearing sunscreen, and using a serum that contains an AHA or vitamin C. We recommended considering the Formulyst Retexturing and Perfecting Serum to help improve the tone and texture of your skin, while also reducing the appearance of uneven, blotchy skin. Overall, this serum can help you achieve a smoother, healthier-looking complexion that appears to radiantly glow.
References: DermStore.com “7 Dermatologist-Recommended Tips for Smoother Skin”, PaulasChoice.com “Everything You Need to Know About Probiotics and Skin”