Reviewing the promotional material for Murad Essential-C, it’s easy to wonder if you’ve just come across a highly sophisticated product that can solve all your skin care needs. Founded in 1989 by Dr. Murad, the brand has been working hard to distinguish its product line as one that is founded on scientific research and created by skin care experts. The company even goes so far as to develop proprietary chemical compounds, with enticing names like RepleniCell, for example. But how effective can Murad Essential-C actually be? Even more importantly, what are the active ingredients in this label, and what effect do they have on the skin? To better understand what Murad Essential-C may achieve for your skin, let’s take a closer look at this skin care brand.
How Murad Essential-C Works
The idea behind Murad Essential-C is to give consumers a skin care option that delivers powerful antioxidants, as well as some effective UV protection.
Interestingly, although the name of this Murad label seems to suggest vitamin C as the cornerstone ingredient, vitamin C doesn’t actually seem to play a pivotal role in the collection. For example, Murad doesn’t tout the benefits of vitamin C for skin care (which are plentiful, by the way).
Further, although this nutrient appears in some of the products in the form of ascorbic acid, it doesn’t seem to be formulated into all of them.
Therefore, consumers looking to build a skin care routine around the benefits of vitamin C may not find what they’re looking for in Murad Essential-C. Of course, that doesn’t mean that Murad’s moisturizers and eye creams are not effective – it is simply a matter of ingredient preference.
Murad Essential-C Price Range
The Murad Essential-C line contains a variety of items, including:
- Daily Renewal Complex; a skin damage repair cream that costs $95 for one ounce.
- Essential-C Cleanser; an antioxidant-based cleanser that’s priced at $36 for just under 7 ounces.
- Eye Cream; and SPF 15 cream at a cost of $69 for half an ounce.
- Essential-C Day Moisture; a moisturizer with SPF 30 protection, priced at $60 for 1.7 ounces.
These are just some of the products included in the Murad Essential-C label, but are representative of the general price range of the items in this line. For the consumer who is on a tight skin care budget, additional savings can be reaped by signing up for the company’s auto ship program. Enrollment in the membership will result in regular shipments of products at set intervals, but will provide a 10% savings off retail price.
Murad Essential-C Ingredients
The formulations of Murad Essential-C products are quite diverse, and vary from item to item. It is important to note, however, that because these items revolve around the idea of mitigating skin damage, the ingredients tend to be either repairing (think antioxidants) or protective (think sun block).
- Daily Renewal Complex: This Murad Essential-C cream was created to repair skin damage caused by UV radiation and other environmental factors. To achieve this, the cream is formulated with ascorbic acid, a powerful antioxidant; rice amino acids, to promote skin cell repair; tocopheryl acetate, a version of vitamin E (also an antioxidant); and capric triglyceride, a skin moisturizer.
- Cleanser: The cleanser in the Murad Essential-C line is designed to remove dirt and oil buildup from the skin, while at the same time repairing damage. The primary forces behind this face wash are vitamins A, C and E. These are powerful antioxidants that stimulate skin cell repair, to mitigate damage caused by free radicals. Further, vitamin A can be metabolized into retinoic acid, which helps boost proper skin cell function.
- Eye Cream SPF 15: This is an interesting product, because it aims to moisturize the skin while providing SPF protection. There are certainly many face moisturizers on the market with sun protection, but this Murad Essential-C eye cream was specifically formulated for the gentle skin around the eyes. It contains ingredients like urea, to draw moisture to the treatment area; butylene glycol, to condition the skin; as well as UV neutralizers like octisalate, homosalate, and avobenzone.
- Day Moisture: The Murad Essential-C cream is a facial moisturizer meant to deliver hydration to the skin while protecting it from harmful UV radiation. The active ingredients in this cream are avobenzone, homosalate, oxybenzone, and several other sun-blocking chemicals.
Murad Essential-C Sun Protection
One important note about face moisturizers with sun block; they need to be re-applied throughout the day in order to provide ongoing protection. Many consumers mistakenly believe they can simply rub a Murad Essential-C face moisturizer with sun block on their skin in the morning, and it will work all day.
However, this is incorrect, because any face moisturizer with SPF protection eventually becomes ineffective and stops protecting your skin. To avoid sun damage and hyperpigmentation issues in the future, it’s essential to re-apply the cream and to wear a hat that can provide additional shade.
Murad Essential-C Reviews
The reviews for Murad Essential-C are largely positive, and most consumers seem to be happy with their purchase. Of course, this also varied from product to product, and especially where price may be a factor. Consumers who use reviews in their decision-making process are encouraged to read such Murad Essential-C reviews with an objective mindset, and to actively distinguish between reviewers’ emotions and the stated facts.
Further reading: Murad skin care review.
Related: Best Vitamin C Serums