Consumers who watch Keeping Up with the Kardashians may be aware of a brand called Manuka Doctor. With Kourtney Kardashian as one of its brand ambassadors, the company goes to great lengths to capitalize on her celebrity status, and even has a specific section on the website dedicated to Kourtney’s Manuka Doctor product picks. However, just because a celebrity endorses a product, that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s good for you, or even that the celebrity uses it on a regular basis. Of course, Ms. Kardashian is quoted on the website as using the company’s products every day, but there is no way to verify this. Further, it’s no secret that celebrities often get paid for such endorsements, which means there is an inherent conflict of interest, as they directly benefit from saying nice things about a brand. Therefore, it’s important to carefully assess the ingredients in Manuka Doctor products, and to speak with a dermatologist before using any skin care items from the company.
How Manuka Doctor Products Work
Manuka Doctor products rely on the benefits of honey for skin care. Honey is an age-old skin care ingredient that has been used for thousands of years. There are several reasons why honey is beneficial for the skin.
- Firstly, this ingredient has strong moisturizing benefits. Adding honey to a skin care routine can boost the moisture barrier to prevent moisture loss.
- Secondly, honey has antimicrobial properties. This can improve skin health by promoting healing. It’s especially helpful for micro damage that may not be easily seen by the naked eye.
Manuka Doctor Ingredients
To better understand the inner workings of Manuka Doctor products, let’s take a closer look at some of the ingredients in the formulations.
- Drops of Crystal Cashmere Touch Cream: In addition to honey, this Manuka Doctor face cream relies on bee venom to boost collagen and increase circulation. Some of the other ingredients include shea butter, to strengthen the skin’s protective barrier; peptides, to repair skin damage; argan oil, to hydrate the skin; and vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant. The cost of this Manuka Doctor cream is $39.95 for 1.35 ounces.
- Drops of Crystal Cashmere Touch Serum: This serum from Manuka Doctor is formulated very much like the cream version, but is designed to feel lighter on the skin.
- ApiClear Purifying Facial Peel: Manuka Doctor created this skin product to improve skin texture and clear out pores. Some of the ingredients include kaolin, to draw out impurities; grapefruit seed extract, for its antioxidant content; hyaluronic acid, to draw moisture to the area; vitamin E, to repair skin damage; and lecithin, to strengthen the skin’s protective barrier. The cost of this facial peel is $45.95 for 3.38 ounces.
- ApiRefine Illusionist Rapid Lift Mask: Referred to as a facelift in a jar, this Manuka Doctor face mask is designed to tighten skin and create a lifting appearance. Some of the ingredients include shea butter, for protective barrier benefits; butylene glycol, to soften the skin; and jojoba, to moisturize. The cost of this Manuka Doctor face mask is $44.95 for 1.35 ounces.
- ApiNourish Rejuvenating Face Mask: This rejuvenating mask contains both the honey and bee venom present in most of the other Manuka Doctor products. In addition, it contains ingredients like royal jelly, for moisturizing; kaolin, to remove impurities; Omega 6 and 9 fatty acids, to promote collagen health; cocoa butter, to hydrate and hyaluronic acid, to draw hydration to the treatment site. With a price tag of $94.95 for 1.7 ounces, this is one of the most expensive Manuka Doctor products.
- Replenishing Facial Oil: The goal of this Manuka Doctor face oil is to utilize a variety of botanical oils to create a comprehensive face oil. The formulation contains oils from manuka, wheat germ, hazel, sweet almond, and cranberry, to name a few. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to discern the concentrations of these oils, which makes it difficult to assess effectiveness. However, at a price of $42.95 for 0.85 ounces, this Manuka Doctor oil is quite cheap when compared to similar products.
The Cost of Manuka Doctor Products
It’s important to note that the Manuka Doctor prices listed above are regular prices of the products. From time to time, the company runs sales pricing, which can produce a roughly 40% discount.
Manuka Doctor Reviews
Reviews for Manuka Doctor products are generally positive. However, some consumers seem to be unhappy with the product prices – this is especially problematic for those who purchase something on sale, but then have to re-stock their supply at regular prices. Other Manuka Doctor reviews suggest that some products have an unpleasant scent, which may be the result of Manuka oil.