Must Know Facts Before Using a Facial Toner
Your skin care regimen is probably one of the main things you make sure to do each and every day, but if you’re not using a facial toner, you could be really short changing yourself. Here’s the thing, everyone’s skin care routine is different. Some only use a couple of products each day, while others use five or more. And if you think five is a lot, get this: in some countries, women use over a dozen skin care products every day! Now, a skin toner may not be the best choice for everyone, but if you’re going to use one, it’s important to understand how to choose the best facial toner.
Today, women are beginning to overlook the facial toner, which at one point was one of the most integral components of a typical daily skin cleansing. The reason why it fell out of favor is because of the main ingredient in old-fashioned toners: alcohol, which irritates the skin. However, the best toners for face nowadays don’t always contain alcohol as an active ingredient and have been redesigned with skin health in mind.
What is a Facial Toner?
A facial toner is a lotion that is applied to skin on the face in order to remove any leftover residue from facial cleansers, while at the same time working to temporarily reduce the appearance of pores. A facial toner is typically applied to the skin prior to moisturizing, but after cleansing the face.
Why You Should Use a Facial Toner
Skin toners are ideal for individuals with acne-prone and/or oily skin. Many people will also apply a facial toner to their skin to remove any excess makeup that regular skin washing may not have eliminated.
Other Benefits of SkinToners
- Shrinks Pores – A facial toner will remove oil and dirt, thus creating the appearance of smaller pores.
- Offers a Normal pH Balance – Soap often disturbs our skin’s normal pH balance and a skin toner helps restore the natural pH balance quickly.
- Protects the Skin – Because toners will work to close pores, impurities and containments do not penetrate the skin as easily while also removing harmful minerals and chlorines that are present in tap water.
- Refreshes and Moisturizes Skin – Many skin toners will help keep moisture locked in and can be used on-the-go when there’s no time to wash your face.
Best Active Ingredients in Facial Toners
- Astringents – Isopropyl alcohol is the primary ingredient in alcohol-based toners. Alcohol-free toners contain natural astringents, such as tea tree oil or witch hazel.
- Antioxidants – These work to condition and hydrate the skin, re-hydrate dry skin and improve the overall condition of the skin. Antioxidants also aid in cell regeneration and the repair of skin tissues.
- Various Vitamins – Vitamins A, B, C and E all help to slow down the aging process and are all, or almost all, found in most facial toners on the shelves today.
- Essential Oils – Some essential oils are added to the best skin toner products for fragrance purposes, while others are added for their therapeutic benefits. The most common essential oils include lavender, marigold, lemon balm and chamomile extracts.
Facial Toner Side Effects
Generally, skin toners do not have any side effects. The primary problem that you may run into is if your skin gets irritated by alcohol. If this is the case, all you need to do is choose a toner that uses natural ingredients rather than alcohol. It also doesn’t hurt to choose a facial toner that is a sulfate-free to help prevent the skin from breaking out and drying excessively.